You are here
Pardon our Dust! by Pam Leffler
Ribbon Cutting and Open House, Wednesday, June 11 at 4:30 p.m.
After many months, the Library renovation project is almost complete! On Wednesday, June 11 we will have a ribbon cutting and open house for the newly renovated library. The ribbon cutting will be at 4:30 p.m. and the open house will follow. Please stop by and join us for this exciting celebration and to check out all of the new improvements. In addition to the ribbon cutting, there will be light refreshments, tours, musical entertainment and a balloon artist in Youth Services for the kids. Hope to see you there! If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I can be reached in person in the Administration Office, by telephone at 630-584-0076 x. 228 or by email.
What's Happening at The Library:
Week of May 12, 2014
- On Thursday the workers will be here to demo the carpet on the stairs in the lobby to the lower level. While this is happening, access to the lower level will be via the elevator only. The stairs should be available for use (albeit without any carpet on them) on Friday and over the weekend.
- Next Monday workers will be back to install scaffolding in the stairwell in order to work on the ceiling.
- On Tuesday of next week workers will be patching and painting the ceiling in the stairwell.
- On Wednesday of next week new carpet will be installed on the stairs.
Week of April 21, 2014
- The reference desk is now in its permanent location
- Computer installation and electrical work in the Info Commons is underway with one station open to public.
Week of April 14, 2014
- Info Commons furniture (computer tables) installation and electrical work are underway. IT will install the internet computers next. The info commons area should be done by this weekend.
- The new book shelves will have new, lighter colored end panels are are being installed.
- The reference desk has been returned and placed in its new, permanent location.
- Power and data to the reference desk and the Info Commons computer tables is underway.
- A storage cabinet unit for reference and additional lounge seating for the main floor will be delivered and installed by the end of this week.
- The new carpet in the lobby is now completed.
- The stairs from the lobby to the lower level are scheduled to be recarpeted at the end of April.
April 9-11, 2014
- The majority of the carpet has been installed on the main floor.
- Hallett Movers permanently placed the remainder of the shelves.
- The family bathroom in YS is open.
- Data and power cabling for the new YS info commons has begun.
- The parking lot lighting is in the process of being upgraded. The new lights are much more modern looking and should give better light and need less frequent changing of bulbs.
- The reference desk will be delivered on Wednesday of next week!
Week of April 7, 2014
- The remainder of the carpet to be replaced on the main floor has been removed. The new carpet installation has begun.
- We anticipate moving the shelves back into their permanent locations later this week. The Reference Desk will soon be placed in its new location.
- New info commons computer furniture tables should be delivered early next week.
- YS family bathroom will be open to the public as soon as the hardware for the door has been received and installed.
- Retrofitting of light fixtures throughout the library will continue.
Week of March 31, 2014
- The carpeting of the Info Commons/former reference desk area is now complete.
- Hallett is currently moving shelving units into either their permanent locations or temporary locations in preparation for the remainder of the carpet removal.
- Reference desk will be moving upstairs temporarily.
- The microfilm cabinets and counter will be put in place.
- Retrofitting of light fixtures is taking place in the Carnegie Business Room today.
- More furniture was delivered and installed in the YS department.
- Wall coverings were hung in YS and shelving moved back into place.
- New lighting and lighting fixtures were hung in the lobby. We are still waiting for some furniture and the carpet to be installed in the lobby. Towards the end of April, we will also be replacing the carpet on the stairs going to the lower level.
- The YS area is almost complete… still need hardware for the bathroom door and the wall coverings need to be installed.
Week of March 24, 2014
During the course of remodeling, the construction crew found asbestos in the vinyl composite tile (VCT) in the Reference/Info Commons area. In order to continue with our renovations in this area, abatement was required. The Library contracted with Universal Asbestos Removal for the abatement project and Midwest Environmental Consulting Services for project management. To ensure the health and safety of our patrons and staff, the Library was closed from March 24 – 28 during asbestos abatement. Due dates for library material checked out from now until March 24 have an extended loan period and will not be due until the library reopens. Any fines accrued for items due during the week of March 24 will be waived.
- Abatement was completed.
- Coring of the floor in the info commons area took place on Friday. Please note: there are several holes in the floor directly into the area above Tech Services. These holes have been covered with orange cones so people don’t trip on them.
- Tax forms have been moved back out into the lobby.
- Maintenance staff has been vacuuming and dusting throughout the library.
- The OPAC that was located behind the temporary reference desk will be moved next to the self-check unit by the circulation desk so that it is more visible to patrons.
Week of March 17, 2014
- Carpet removal and installation in the YS Department and is completely done. Please note there are areas temporarily blocked off.
- Installation of the floor tile in the new family bathroom in YS is now complete.
- OPACs on the main floor will be moved in preparation for shelf moving later in the week.
- There is one OPAC by the temporary reference desk (former receptionist desk), one self-check by the stairs to the mezzanine and one self-check by the circulation desk. The scanner has been temporarily relocated to the mezzanine level.
- The remainder of the furniture for the mezzanine has been installed.
- The sale book shelf and the baskets have been moved to the east side of the stairs to the mezzanine.
- The electrician is working on retrofitting the lights in the far west end of the building.
- The temporary wall around the new YS family bathroom is being removed.
- Shelving units in YS have been moved into their permanent locations.
Week of March 10, 2014
- Installation of new carpet on the north end of YS will begin on Monday morning.
- On Wednesday, the four ranges of the shorter shelves in the center of YS will be moved to allow old carpet to be removed.
- On Monday, workers will begin putting up drywall in the new family bathroom in YS.
- Preparations for closing March 24 – 28 continue.
Week of March 3, 2014
- The work on the YS family bathroom is continuing. Tile was removed, trenches dug and new tile and brickwork begun.
- Work on the floor, removal/installation of carpet in the YS area will begin late this week.
- On Thursday, March 6, saw cutting of the floor in front of the Story Time room is scheduled to begin. The day before, library staff will be working on moving the necessary shelving and computers in order for this to take place. Plastic barriers to minimize dust and traffic in this area will be going up on Wednesday, as well.
- Internet access remains limited on the main floor.
Week of February 24, 2014:
- The dismantling and reconfiguration of the Reference Desk will take place this week. Ultimately, the Reference Desk will be relocated nearer to the main entrance of the Library.
- A temporary Reference Desk has been set up at the Reader Services Desk.
- Removal of the Info Commons workstations is taking place this week. We will be replacing these workstations with smaller and better configured units that will allow us to add more computers in this area. Access to the public library internet computers will be extremely limited, and at times, unavailable.
- Access to the magazine/newspaper/quiet study/000-300s is temporarily off limits to patrons during this time.
- Mezzanine furniture has been delivered and is currently being assembled.
Week of February 17, 2014:
- Young Adult shelving was moved and placed in its new, permanent location.
- Stairs from the main floor to the mezzanine were carpeted. Installation of new carpet on the east end of the mezzanine was completed, and the mezzanine is once again open to the public.
- A number of areas on the mezzanine and main floor are being painted.
- Electrical work continues throughout the library in preparation for new computer workstations and retrofitting of light fixtures.
- The booth in the YA area has been removed. Other furniture will be relocated throughout the library. New furniture is expected to arrive during the week of February 24.
- Work on the bathrooms in the Youth Services Department has begun. What used to be two separate bathrooms will be combined to make one family bathroom. A temporary wall around the bathrooms has been constructed.
Week of February 10, 2014:
- Installation of new carpet in the Carnegie Meeting Room was completed.
- Removal of old flooring on the mezzanine level and the stairs from the main floor to the mezzanine, and floor preparation for the installation of new carpet began. Installation will proceed from the west end to the east end of the mezzanine.
- There is no patron access to the mezzanine level and study rooms during this period.
Week of February 3, 2014: Library renovations begin in the Carnegie Community Room!
- Removal of old carpet and installation of new carpet began in the Carnegie Community Room.